Sep 25, 2012

More good reasons to avoid Facebook.

I’ve said it in the past and I’ll keep carping about it but I really hate the whole Facebook phenomenon. I firmly believe Facebook is just another faddish trend that will burn itself out in a few years (MySpace anyone? AOL anyone?).

I don’t believe in the basic tenets of social media because in doing so you are sacrificing your privacy and I continue to find it amazing how much of themselves people will so readily volunteer up to the world. Things they wouldn’t dream of doing outside the electronic corridors of cyberspace (yes that’s a very clichéd phrase but apt nonetheless).

Time and again as if to illustrate this lesson there are cautionary tales that appear trumpeting the hazards of ‘broadcasting your bizness.’

Case in point:
Facebook’s “People You May Know” section can be a helpful tool to connect people to potential friends on the social media site. Suggestions normally point you to someone you used to know or friends of friends that you may want to connect with. The suggestions do not normally display photos of your husband’s other wife.
That’s what happened to Ellenora Fulk, the first wife of Tacoma, Washington, resident Alan Fulk, when “People You May Know” recommended she add Alan’s new wife as a friend on Facebook. Alan recently changed his last name to O’Neill and married Teri Wyatt. Teri’s profile picture, the one that had been suggested to Ellenora, depicted Teri and O’Neill dressed up in evening attire standing in front of a wedding cake — a dead giveaway that O’Neill had found himself a new wife. The only problem was, he and Ellenora were still married.
But wait! That wasn’t the only story dealing with Facebook F*&%ups...
A Kentucky woman who was issued a DUI after she caused a car accident with four teenagers is being sent back to jail after a judge ordered her to delete her Facebook page.

Local NBC affiliate WAVE3 reports that Paula Asher wrote a dismissive status update to her Facebook page after the accident, stating, “My dumb (expletive) got a dui and I hit a car… lol.”

 Asher was allegedly under the influence at the time of the accident and fled the scene before police arrived.

The parents of the four teens injured in the crash asked District Judge Mary Jane Phelps to have the offending Facebook page removed and the judge complied.
So, yes Virginia there is such a thing as comeuppance.

Friends don’t let friends Facebook.

No comments: